Desert to Jungle with Llamas
9 days /Apr.- Nov.
Pricing is based on group size and seasonality, please check with us to secure the best pricing.
• Discover the layered ecosystem of Argentina’s mountains on a six-day hike from the high desert plains down through the jungle.
• At the end of your trek, rest and relax in true Argentinean style at a luxurious sugarcane plantation, known as an Estancia.
• Travel down an ages-old path accompanied by a local llama, who is acting as your pack animal, providing a unique glimpse into an ancient way of life.
Day 1: SALTA
We will pick you up at the Salta airport. In the afternoon, you will take a guided walk through the city and conclude with a visit to the MAAM, the High Mountain Archaeological Museum, to learn about sacred Incan sites. Later, during dinner, you will have a chance to practice your skills at strumming a guitar.
Day 2: TILCARA
Today we head north towards the Quebrada de Humahuaca, traveling on a road that winds first through a mountain cloud forest, then past colored hills, and finally becomes salt. You will reach your posada in time to spend the afternoon exploring the town of Tilcara.
Day 3: TILCARA TO THE EASTERN JUNGLE
Starting from Tilcara, we’ll trek up the mountain on a path that connects the Quebrada with the eastern jungle. After dinner, we’ll set up camp and sleep in a tent almost 4000m above sea level.
Day 4: THE ZENTA RANGE
Today we’ll walk over a 4000 meter-high pass to Waira Wasi or “The House of Wind” in Quechua, the language of the Inca. We also pass to the humid side of the mountains, although, because of the high altitude, the landscape remains desert-like. At night we sleep in an altitude shelter.
Day 5: EL MOLULO
We’ll hike down a narrow mountain path to El Molulo (3600m). This is a small village with few houses; it has a boarding school that teaches 25 students during the school year. This is a town that can only be reached by foot.
Day 6: SAN LUCAS
We continue our descent, walking through the small hamlets of San Lucas (2000m.). We’ll finally reach the tree line and begin to walk under leaves .At night we will learn about the southern stars and constellations.
Day 7: DOWN A JUNGLE PATH
Spend the day trekking down a jungle path near a rushing mountain river. Our driver will meet us near Peña Alta and take us down towards the comforts of an Estancia.
Day 8: A SUGARCANE PLANTATION
Spend a delightful day at leisure at the Estancia, enjoying Argentinean luxury with a touch of British flavor. You might walk, read, or learn about the history of the English settlers in northwestern Argentina.
Day 9: JUJUY AIRPORT
After a pleasurable morning playing tennis or enjoying brunch by the swimming pool, we will drive you to the local airport, only 15 minutes away.
We follow the principals of ecotourism, uniting conservation, communities, and sustainable travel:
• Everything we do is designed to minimize impact as we work to build environmental and cultural awareness and respect.
• We provide positive experiences for visitors and hosts, as well as direct financial benefits for conservation and for the local culture.
• Our trips raise sensitivity to the country’s political, environmental, and social climate.